Thursday, February 24, 2011

My Locker Story

February 24, 2011

School lockers are a symbol of high school education. It is a student’s personal space away from home.  It holds our books and notebooks. It may also contain some self care products and some clothes. Most, if not all students who had their locker decorated that tiny bit of space according to their personality.

In my younger years, I have always dreamed of renting my own locker. My school does not give locker space for free and I wanted one not because I really need it, but because I have watched too many teenage genre movies and a scene beside a locker is a practically obligatory. My square locker was about 12 inches in width and about 15 inches in depth. My school had a 4 tiered row of lockers and each year, I would get a unit on the top row because I was one of the taller students in my class. I loved my locker. My classmates and I would have a friendly competition on whose locker was the coolest: from the padlock, the nameplate on the locker door, to the contents of the locker itself. I used a vintage dial lock for my locker because I had the tendency to forget my keys at home.  My name on my locker is a colorful rendering of my name. I (try to) keep the inside of my locker organized as much as possible. I had little cubbies for pens and other little trinkets. I put in decorative paper on the sides of my locker. I even put fragrance in my locker so that every time I open my locker, the scent would waft through the air. As in the movies, inside the door of my locker is a picture (or practically an altar) to my crush (who at that time was Taylor Hanson)

Fast forward to now. I am redecorating our new apartment and we are in need of storage. I am actually considering getting a couple of lockers and am now looking for lockers for sale. On my wish list now is a row of bright red lockers for my home office. I love the vintage feel and look of a vintage locker and it can truly be a decorative piece at home.

Do you remember what your high school locker looked like? Pity, digital cameras were still expensive at that time. I would've loved to take a picture of my locker. Maybe some of you have a picture of your high school locker. Please feel free to share.

Would you consider getting a locker at home? Share pictures if you already have a locker at home. 

Written by

We are Creative Blogger Theme Wavers which provides user friendly, effective and easy to use themes. Each support has free and providing HD support screen casting.

2 comments:

  1. our school lockers before were really dull. And we weren't aloud to put or paste anything on them. And only schoolbooks are allowed... and you're right. digicams were still very pricey then :( I could have lots of HS pictures sana :((

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had the same reason why I wanted to have a locker back in Highschool--because I watched too many teeny-bopper coming of age shows/movies and they all have lockers!

    But when I finally got one in college, I barely used it because it was located at the basement of the school, which smelled of rotting dead rats (really bad) and where I lost my T-square. I only rented it for one semester.

    ReplyDelete

 

© 2013 Witness Statement. All rights resevered. Designed by Templateism

Back To Top